Technician guide: CalAmp 42XX on Fleet
Skill level: Intermediate
Installers must be able to remove dash panels and instrument clusters, and mount and secure devices safely.
Estimated time for install: 20-40 minutes
This article outlines how to install all CalAmp 42XX series vehicle trackers.
Preparing for installation
Before you install the device, there are a few things that you need to do to ensure a smooth process.
Check the box contents
You should receive the following:
- CalAmp 42XX
- Diagnostic cable
Get your fleet ready
We recommend installing the device outdoors in an area with good network coverage.
Gather the vehicle information
To complete the setup you need to enter the following information for each vehicle:
- Vehicle name - give the vehicle a name that makes it easily identifiable on Live Map and in reports.
- Vehicle license plate
- Year, make and model of vehicle
- Current odometer reading
Gather your tools and supplies
Depending on your vehicle type, you might need some of the following tools:
- Dash panel removal tools
- Wire stripping tools
- Digital voltmeter
- Cordless drill
- General purpose screwdriver bit set
- Sockets (standard/metric)
- Work light
- Electrical tape - Super 33 grade or better
- Extra zip ties
- Extra self-tapping screws
- Extra heat shrink ring terminals, butt connectors, and a mini-torch
- Add-A-Circuit fuse adapters
Installing the device
1. Identify parts of the device
- A: 4 pin Power harness connection for the 3-wire harness.
- B: 22 pin I/O connection for accessories
The device is equipped with two Status LEDs, one for GPS and one for COM (wireless network):
- C: GPS LED (green)
- D: COM LED (amber)
2. Choose where to mount the device
The device must be mounted:
- Label side down.
- Concealed from the driver’s view.
- High in the dash for the best signal.
- With a clear line of sight out of the vehicle
- Away from heavy metallic surroundings.
Never mount the device in the engine compartment, directly on top of the AM/FM radio, by any moving parts, or in a location that would be exposed to the elements.
3. Record the device and vehicle information
Record the device Equipment Serial Number. You need this along with the vehicle details, to verify the installation.
The ESN label is on the bottom of the device.
3. Install the provided diagnostic cable in line with the OEM diagnostic connector
DO NOT connect the power harness to the vehicle tracker at this time.
- Remove the OEM diagnostic connector
- Install the provided diagnostic cable in line
- Install the provided diagnostic cable into the OEM location
- Run diagnostic cable to where device is to be secured
- Secure cable along the way, staying clear of any moving parts
Green LED (GPS)
- Off = GPS OFF
- Blinking = GPS ON, 1 blink per satellite connected
Orange LED (Com)
- Off = Modem OFF
- Blinking = Ignition OFF
- Rapid blinking = Ignition ON, but no network connection
- Solid = Ignition ON, network connection established
Mounting the device
- Due to the internal accelerometer, the device must be secured with zip ties, VHB tape, or Velcro. Don’t tape over the ESN on the label (the label will peel and be unreadable when the tape is removed).
- Secure the device firmly so it cannot move around.
If the device is not secure, it will impact the accuracy of harsh driving events.
- Tidy up the cable and secure it with zip ties.
- Check everything is fastened tightly and cut off excess length of zip ties if needed.
To verify operation, use the Fleet Hardware Installer app. If you experience any issues with the Fleet Hardware Installer app, contact support.
Verizon Connect shall have no liability whatsoever for any damages that arise from, or are connected with, your use of our services, including GPS tracking hardware, in a manner contrary to the(se) instructions or in violation of law and/or our agreement. Installed devices may only be removed and transferred to another vehicle if the second has been tested for compatibility, as per the(se) instructions. Transfers between vehicles which do not follow the(se) instructions will void any and all warranties from Verizon Connect, and relieve Verizon Connect of all liability for damages that arise from or are connected with your use of the devices.