Install a plug and play vehicle tracker using the Spotlight app
This guide describes how to install a plug and play vehicle tracker using the Spotlight app.
This guide contains the following sections:
Verizon Connect shall have no liability whatsoever for any damages that arise from, or are connected with, your use of our services, including the Vehicle Data Device (VDD), in a manner contrary to the(se) instructions or in violation of law and/or our agreement. Installed devices may only be removed and transferred to another vehicle if the second has been tested for compatibility, as per the(se) instructions. Transfers between vehicles which do not follow the(se) instructions will void any and all warranties from Verizon Connect, and relieve Verizon Connect of all liability for damages that arise from or are connected with your use of the devices.
Get your fleet ready
- Move the vehicle to an area with good network coverage and with a clear view of the sky.
- Switch the vehicle’s engine off.
Download the Spotlight Mobile app
- Download the Spotlight by Verizon Connect app.
- Log into the app with your Verizon Connect credentials.
If you do not have a login, contact your administrator.
- In the Spotlight app, go to Account > Device setup.
- On the What do you want to install? screen, tap Vehicle tracker.
- Tap NEW VEHICLE.
- Use the app to scan the barcode that is located on the back of the device.
If you can’t scan the code, choose Manual input, and enter the ESN or IMEI number.
What barcode do I use?
- Locate the OBD-II port.
The port is usually located under the dashboard or beneath the steering wheel column. If not located beneath the steering column, look for the port in the areas indicated in the image.
Find the OBD-II port.
- When the device is recognised, tap CONNECT MY VEHICLE.
- While waiting for the device to connect, you can enter the vehicle information. Tap EDIT VEHICLE PROFILE WHILE YOU WAIT.
- On the Vehicle identity screen, enter the vehicle information and choose Save.
Enter the following information:
- Vehicle name (mandatory)
- License plate number
- Year, Make, Model
- Fuel type
- Tank capacity
- Fuel efficiency (city)
- Fuel efficiency (highway)
- Current odometer reading
- When the vehicle is successfully connected, the vehicle appears on the map with a pop-up that says Vehicle Connected.
- Choose COMPLETE SETUP and then CLOSE to complete the installation.
FCC compliance statement
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. Changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation.
If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
Consult the dealer or install technician for help.