Installation guide: CalAmp LMU 42XX on Reveal
Skill level: Expert
Installers must have a working knowledge of vehicle electrical and starting systems, and know how to use relays, diodes, sensor inputs.
Estimated time for install: 20-40 minutes
This article outlines how to install all CalAmp 42XX series vehicle trackers.
- Preparing for installation
- Installing the device
- Verifying operation
- Contacting support
Preparing for installation
Before you install the device, there are a few things that you need to do to ensure a smooth process.
Check the box contents
You should receive the following:
- CalAmp 42XX
- 3-wire harness
Get your fleet ready
We recommend installing the device outdoors in an area with good network coverage.
Gather the vehicle information
To complete the setup you need to enter the following information for each vehicle:
- Vehicle name - give the vehicle a name that makes it easily identifiable on Live Map and in reports.
- Vehicle license plate
- Year, make and model of vehicle
- Current odometer reading
Gather your tools and supplies
Depending on your vehicle type, you might need some of the following tools:
- Dash panel removal tools
- Wire stripping tools
- Digital voltmeter
- Cordless drill
- General purpose screwdriver bit set
- Sockets (standard/metric)
- Work light
- Electrical tape - Super 33 grade or better
- Extra zip ties
- Extra self-tapping screws
- Extra heat shrink ring terminals, butt connectors, and a mini-torch
- Add-A-Circuit fuse adapters
Installing the device
1. Identify parts of the device
- Red arrow: 4 pin Power harness connection for the 3-wire harness.
- Yellow arrow: 22 pin I/O connection for accessories
- Pink arrow: Diagnostic Y cable connection
The device is equipped with two Status LEDs, one for GPS and one for COM (wireless network):
- COM LED (green)
- GPS LED (amber)
2. Choose where to mount the device
The device must be mounted:
- Label side down.
- Concealed from the driver’s view.
- High in the dash for the best signal.
- With a clear line of sight out of the vehicle.
- Away from heavy metallic surroundings.
Never mount the device in the engine compartment, directly on top of the AM/FM radio, by any moving parts or in a location that would be exposed to the elements.
3. Record device and vehicle information
Record the device ESN. You need this along with the vehicle details, to verify the installation.
The ESN label is on the bottom of the device.
4. Connect the 3 wires of the power harness to the vehicle's electrical system
DO NOT connect the power harness to the vehicle tracker at this time.
The vehicle tracker requires 3 connections: GROUND, IGNITION and POWER.
- Connect the ground line wire (black) to the body or frame of the vehicle, for example the chassis.
- Use a ring terminal to terminate the ground wire to the chassis with a self-tapping screw or a factory bolt.
- Connect the ignition input wire (white) to an ignition source that will only receive power when the ignition is ON.
- Connect the power input wire (red) to a battery source where there is constant power, even when the ignition is off.
- Connect directly to the vehicle battery terminal or as close to it as possible. This connection point should be fuse protected to not more than 5 amps.
To determine a true ignition power source:
- Select a wire.
- With the engine OFF, use a voltmeter to measure the DC voltage on the wire. It should show 0 volts.
- Turn the key to the Accessory position. The voltage should still show 0 volts.
- Turn the key to the On/Run position. The voltmeter should show 12 volts.
- Crank the motor and make sure that the voltage does not drop below 9 volts.
- While the vehicle is running, confirm that the voltage on the same wire is 12 volts or higher.
- Turn the vehicle’s engine OFF and confirm that the voltage on the same wire is 0 volts.
If the voltage does not display as indicated here, you are not testing a true ignition wire.
If the installation requires extending the harness’ ignition wire outside the cab and directly to an alternator or solenoid, protect the wire and connection using a heat shrink ring terminal, dielectric grease and wire loom along with a weatherproof fuse holder, and fuse of 3-5 amps.
5. Connect the power harness to the vehicle tracker
Plug the 3-wire harness into the POWER port (A)
6. Confirm that the vehicle tracker is connected correctly
Check the device’s LEDs.
Green LED (GPS)
- Off = GPS OFF
- Blinking = GPS on, 1 blink per satellite connected
Orange LED (Com)
- Off = Modem OFF
- Blinking = Ignition OFF
- Rapid blinking = Ignition ON, but no network connection
- Solid = Ignition ON, network connection established
Mounting the device
- Due to the internal accelerometer, the device must be secured with zip ties, VHB tape or Velcro. Don’t tape over the ESN on the label (the label will peel and be unreadable when the tape is removed).
- Secure the device firmly so it cannot move around.
If the device is not secure, it will impact the accuracy of harsh driving events.
- Tidy up the cable and secure it with zip ties.
- Check everything is fastened tightly and cut off excess length of zip ties if needed.
Verify that the device is reporting correctly by searching for the vehicle name or the device’s serial number in Reveal.
Learn how to Verify an installation in Reveal.
You can contact Verizon Connect support by phone or email, Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 5pm (AEST).
Call: 1800 039 642 option 4
Verizon Connect Installation Partners should use the Reveal Hardware Installer (RHI) app to verify the installation. If you experience any issues with the RHI app, contact the Installer Support Team via the number in the app, or your vendor manager.
Verizon Connect shall have no liability whatsoever for any damages that arise from, or are connected with, your use of our services, including GPS tracking hardware, in a manner contrary to the(se) instructions or in violation of law and/or our agreement. Installed devices may only be removed and transferred to another vehicle if the second has been tested for compatibility, as per the(se) instructions. Transfers between vehicles which do not follow the(se) instructions will void any and all warranties from Verizon Connect, and relieve Verizon Connect of all liability for damages that arise from or are connected with your use of the devices.