Installation guide: Driver-facing camera (model 2)
This article covers the following topics:
Preparing for installation
Check for installed devices
Firmware upgrade process
The minimum Firmware version needed to support DFC is v3.2.1, together with the corresponding Config setting file. Earlier FW versions do not support DFCs.
Firmware v3.2.1 and config setting files are queued for all new DFC camera installations. The upgrade will take place during installation.
For the config setting file and FW to upgrade successfully, the camera needs to reboot twice. One reboot is automatic. The second reboot requires a manual power cycle (e.g. power off/power on). Provided the camera is within a strong cellular coverage area, the upgrade will typically take less than 5 mins.
Important | The FW and config setting files must be upgraded before changing the SD card, or activating/connecting the DFC.
When a Firmware Upgrade is in progress, the blue and green lights will switch between Off and On twice.
Once the device has upgraded and booted, the blue and green LEDs should remain solid, indicating the camera is operating properly.
In the event of an issue during installation, a reboot is recommended. Please contact Customer Support to initiate a soft reboot.
Warning | A hard reboot risks corrupting the device when a FW download/upload is underway.
Replace the road-facing camera SD card
If you received an SD card with your driver-facing camera, replace the existing SC card in the road-facing camera with the new one. Learn more.
Download the app
You must use either the Spotlight app or the Integrated Video app to install the camera.
Download the Spotlight app from:
Download the Integrated Video app from:
You can access either app with your Verizon Connect credentials.
Not sure what app to use?
What's in the box
- 1 x Camera
- 1 x 3M VHB adhesive pads
- 1 x Alcohol wipe
- 2 x Philips screws (pre-attached to the bracket)
- 1 x 4 pin to 2.5 mm cable adapter
- 1 x Extension cable
- 1 x Hex key
- 1 x Quick start guide
- 1 x Privacy sticker
What tools you'll need
- Mobile device with the Integrated Video app installed
- Supplied hex key
Installing the driver-facing camera
All the information that you need to install the driver-facing camera is available in the app. This article is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be used as an installation guide.
Log in to the app
- Log in to the app using your Verizon Connect credentials.
Identify the camera
- In the Integrated Video app, choose Settings. Or in the Spotlight app, go to Account > Device setup.
- In the Integrated Video app, tap Add new camera or device. Or in Spotlight, on the What do you want to install? screen, tap Camera.
- Use the app to scan the barcode that is located on the back of the device.
If you can’t scan the code, choose Manual input, and enter the ESN or IMEI number.
- When you first run the app, a prompt explains that the vehicle must have a GPS tracker and a road camera installed before you can install the driver-facing camera. Choose GOT IT.
- On the Setup page, you can launch the installation guide. The guide explains how to connect the cables, where to place the camera, how to align it, and stick it to the windshield. To launch the installation guide, choose VIEW.
We recommend you review the installation guide during your first installation. If you have already carried out the sets in the guide, choose SKIP AND ACTIVATE CAMERA.
Connect the camera cables
- Expose the road-facing camera wires.
The road-facing camera's connector could be located behind the A-pillar.
For more information, read Find the road-facing camera video connector.
- In the app, choose the model of the road-facing camera model already installed in the vehicle.
- Follow the cabling instructions for your road-facing camera model.
- Road-facing camera Model 1: Use the provided adapter cable to connect the road-facing camera’s power cable to the driver-facing camera’s connector cable.
- Road-facing camera Model 2: Connect the road-facing camera’s power cable to the driver-facing camera’s connector cable.
- When you have connected the wires, choose Next.
Choose the camera placement
Place the camera within the obscuration band. This is the dark and often dotted area near the edge of the windshield.
Do not place the camera where something can block its field of view - for example, do not place it behind the rear-view mirror or where it can be obstructed by the driver-side visor.
For more information about where to place the camera, read Position and align your driver-facing camera.
Align the camera
The camera should point directly into the driver's cab. The camera has a 120o field of view, so it covers most of the vehicle interior.
- Adjust the lens by unscrewing both screws with the hex key provided.
- Once you are happy with the location and the view, tighten the screens, and in the app choose NEXT.
Stick the camera to the windshield
The windshield glass temperature should not be too hot or cold (recommended between 50°F–80°F / 10°C-26°C).
- Use the supplied wipes to clean and dry the area on the windshield where the camera will be placed.
- Peel off the protective strip from the adhesive pad.
- Stick the camera to the windshield. Ensure that the cable is pointing up toward the top of the cab.
- Firmly press the camera to the windshield for 30 seconds.
- Once you’ve completed this step, choose NEXT.
Turn the camera on
- To power the driver-facing camera, start the vehicle’s engine. Check for lights on the road-facing camera.
- Choose ACTIVATE CAMERA.
Identify the vehicle
The camera must be paired with a vehicle so that when it captures a video of a harsh driving incident, it can be associated with a particular vehicle.
- In the app, on the Identify vehicle screen, choose the vehicle from the list or by searching for the vehicle-by-vehicle name, vehicle identification number (VIN), vehicle registration number or license plate number (REG), or electronic serial number (ESN).
Test the camera alignment
- To test the camera alignment, choose TEST ALIGNMENT.
The driver’s headrest should be within the top quarter of the image.
It may take up to 60 seconds to generate a snapshot.
- If you need to adjust the camera, choose Retake to take another snapshot.
- Once you are happy with the location and the view, tighten the screens and in the app choose NEXT.
Activate the camera
- On the Confirmation screen, review the installation information. It shows the vehicle, road-facing camera, and driver-facing camera information. To complete the pairing, choose ACTIVATE CAMERA.
- To complete the installation, choose FINISH.
Tidy away the cables
Tidy away the camera cables, to ensure they do not obstruct the driver's view:
- Secure the power cable extension into the headliner panels.
- Use the cable ties provided to secure the cables out of the view of the driver.