Installation guide: CalAmp TTU 720 and CalAmp TTU 730 on Fleet
Skill level: Basic
The installation can be performed quickly and easily by individuals of any ability.
Estimated time for install: 10-20 minutes
This article outlines how to install the CalAmp TTU 720 and CalAmp TTU 730 non-powered asset trackers.
- Preparing for installation
- Installing the devices
- Mounting the device
- Configuring the device
- Verifying operation
- Contacting support
Preparing for installation
Before you install the device, there are a few things that you need to do to ensure a smooth installation process.
Check the box contents
You should receive the following:
- CalAmp 720 OR CalAmp 730
- 4 screws
- 4 flat washers
- 4 self-locking nuts
- Activation magnet
Get your fleet ready
We recommend installing the device outdoors in an area with good network coverage.
Gather your tools and supplies
Depending on your asset type, you might need some of the following tools:
- Cordless Drill
- 3/16” drill bit
- 3/8” open-end wrench
- 5/16” socket - 1/4” drive
- Ratchet 1/4” drive
- Scratch awl
- Rust preventative spray paint (black or primer color)
Installing the device
1. Choose where to mount the device
The device must be mounted:
- In an area that’s clear of moving parts.
- With a clear view of the sky.
- Where it will not be exposed to water spray or road debris.
- Do not place directly under metal.
Common locations include:
- Top of the trailer’s tongue
- Hitch rail
- Side rails
- Front bulkhead
2. Record the device and vehicle information
Record the device Equipment Serial Number. You need this to verify the installation.
The ESN label is on the bottom of the device.
Mounting the device
Do not remove the activation magnet until the installation is complete.
- Drill a 3/16” for each mounting hole on the device.
- Deburr holes.
- Remove metal shavings from cross member surfaces.
- Paint all exposed metal surfaces in and around holes with a rust preventative paint.
- Allow the paint to dry for 10 minutes.
- Mount the device using screws (4), flat washers (4) and self-locking nuts (4).
- Ensure that the flat washers are between the screw heads and the plastic device housing.
- Tighten each screw using 5/16" socket, ratchet and 3/8" open-end wrench.
Do not throw the activation magnet away. You may need it to reset the device.
Configuring the device
- Once mounted, remove the magnet. This will turn the asset tracker on and cause it to send the first plot to Reveal. It will not report again for about 24 hours.
- To change the plot time, replace the magnet for 2 minutes, then remove and verify again.
- Make sure that the device is reporting properly. If it is not, apply the magnet for two minutes and remove again.
If you’re a Reveal customer, verify your installation in Reveal.
If you’re a professional installer using Reveal, use the Reveal Hardware Installer app.
If you’re installing a device in Fleet, use the Fleet Installer Portal.
You can contact Verizon Connect Support using the following channels:
Fleet Support: # 877.943.7306
Fleet Govt Support: # 800.906.9316 (Verizon Connect installation partners only)
Networkfleet Support: # 866.227.7323
Fleet Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fleet Govt Support: email@example.com (Verizon Connect installation partners only)
Networkfleet Support: firstname.lastname@example.org
Verizon Connect shall have no liability whatsoever for any damages that arise from, or are connected with, your use of our services, including the GPS tracking hardware and dash cams, in a manner contrary to the(se) instructions or in violation of law and/or our agreement. Tracking hardware connected to the diagnostic port in any vehicle that has third-party devices also connected to the diagnostic port can cause interference or loss of functionality of the third-party device. These third-party devices include, but are not limited to, wheelchair lifts, lifesaving equipment, emergency lighting, and radar guns. If such a conflict exists, contact Verizon Connect support to have the tracking hardware configured to support the third-party device. Failure to do so relieves Verizon Connect of all liability for damages that arise from or are connected with your use of the devices. Installed devices may only be removed and transferred to another vehicle if the second vehicle has been tested for compatibility, as per the(se) instructions. Transfers between vehicles which do not follow the(se) instructions will void any and all warranties from Verizon Connect, and relieve Verizon Connect of all liability for damages that arise from or are connected with your use of the devices.